Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Even the Bamboo was Crying


Who knows what has gotten into me the past few days but I have been the weepiest girl in Louisville.  I have cried for 72 hours but thank God, I think it might finally be over.  I have nothing to cry about.  I have everything a girl could ever want but well, we all have times when we get down, don't we? 
Greg has suspected that maybe I'm having trouble with not working anymore but I know he has to be wrong about that.  Being a stay at home Mom has been the thing I've wanted the most.  We have also blamed it on PMS, a side effect from my birth control or just plain mania.  I'm pretty sure I'm not a maniac though so let's not send me to the Portsmouth Receiving mental institution just yet. After all, it's only been three days.  The other 362 days of the year, I'm pretty pleasant.  :)
The maniac theory came about as a complete coincidence, however, you can be the judge.  Here's my side of the story:  We signed a contract a week ago to have a new patio roof put up.  The guy that came and gave us the estimate said that we would need to cut down some of the crazy tall bamboo that's growing next to the side of the house before they could put the roof up.  Yesterday, after yet another crying spell, I was sitting outside watching Em play in her sand table and I glanced over at the bamboo waving wildly behind me.  I marched right into the garage, grabbed hold of the industrial sized loppers and began chopping it down.  I took out nearly 3/4 of it.  I chopped and chopped and when I wasn't satisfied that I had taken enough down, I chopped some more.  Finally, I stepped back and surveyed the Edward Scissorhands artwork in front of me.  Not bad, I thought...and won't Greg be so proud that I saved him all this yard work?  Um...that would be a negative.
He came home and I could physically see that his hear skipped a beat when he seen my landscaping.  He was speechless.  At first I thought he must be thinking how strong, ambitious and helpful his wife is....but wait... he STILL wasn't saying anything.  Finally, he asked if I was alright....I knew then that he wasn't as pleased as I had imagined he would be.The "are you alright" question wasn't to mean "are you tired from working so hard?" it meant "are you sane and do I need to hide all the loppers and any other sharp objects?" 
He began to inform me that I cut it wrong and that I just put a breeding ground for mosquitos next to our beloved patio.  (Who knew that if you don't cut bamboo at the "nodes" then the poles will fill up with water, thus inviting mosquitos to do their business in our greenery?)  Immediately, tears came to my eyes and yet another crying fit insued.  I cried and cried and Greg, being the supportive husband he is, put his arms around me and reminded me there are worse things to cry over than bamboo (although I think he might have wanted to cry too at that point.) I pulled myself together and sat down to survey the damage...and it was then that Greg pointed out that even the bamboo was crying.  He was right, tears were falling from the tops of their stalks where I had lopped.  
I'm glad to report that after looking at the bamboo again today, I see that it's not as bad as we had imagined.  We were looking at it around 12 am last night by the light of the moon.  In the daylight, I can confirm that I wasn't a maniac after all, I really did thin out the bamboo like we needed to and the yard isn't going to be an eyesore all summer.  As for the "nodes" we'll have to chop  each stalk of bamboo at that point to keep the poles from being a lovenest for the mosquitos and google has assured me that the bamboo will bush out from the top of each stalk. 
All is well on the patio again, folks.  Today is a new day.  I've dried my tears and so has the bamboo. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Trish,
    OMG...you were right! I laughed so hard while reading this that even I was crying!! I felt so sorry for you, but I could completely see everything in my head just as you were saying it. I'm laughing now just typing this. Bless your heart...you know, I know exactly what you mean when you say that you've done nothing but cry for 3 days and you have no idea why. Oh dear child, how I know exactly what you're going through. I really think it's a 30's something hormone lash out. There are days that I will wake up and cry because the wind isn't blowing in the right direction. The other day, my mom and I were crossing the Ashland bridge and I started bawling because the river was up!!! SERIOUSLY?!?!?! We are NOT maniacs...well, you're not a maniac, I'm still contemplating my severity, but on a good day I can honestly say that I am not a maniac, but the tide holds high for anyone that gets in my way...LOL. This really is a cute story. I really love that you're blogging because I thoroughly enjoy reading it. I can't wait for your next adventure. This is more exciting than the last season of Sex & The City!! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete