Friday, May 13, 2011

June Cleaver

Remember June Cleaver?  She was The Beaver's Mom.  Always pleasant, always perfect in her high heels and apron, the house was never cluttered, she didn't have to step over toys and meals were always served on time and with a smile on her flawless face. 



When I signed up to join my Mommies Group I had somehow convinced myself that I was going to meet a whole clique of June's.  I had also thought that as soon as I began my new job as a stay-at-home Mom it would be my opportunity to be one of those June's too.  I would have my husband's clothes ironed and ready at the start of each work week.  I would fix a nutrious lunch for him every day with an extra spoonfull of love in each dish.  Emme wouldn't throw tantrums because she would have her best friend (me) with her all day and what could she possibly have to be upset about? Everything was going to be sunshine and lollipops and she was going to have a perfect Mom.  Boy was I wrong...

Since joining my Mom's group and taking on my new job as Domestic Engineer, I have learned that I'll never be perfect but also that no one expects me to be.  I've met Moms from all different walks of life and with different child rearing techniques but the one thing that keeps us bonded is that we are all Moms. We've all had diapers leak poop onto our legs, boogers wiped on our shirt sleeves, food thrown at us and we've experienced toddler melt downs in public while strangers try politely not to stare. So far, I've not met one June Cleaver.  NOT ONE.  And I'm not disappointed. 

And you know who isn't diappointed in me?  My husband.  He didn't even seem to notice during my second week on the job as the Real Housewife of Louisville that he had to fend for himself for food and that his clothes weren't ironed for him. I sure did start off that first few days with a bang but the week took its toll on me real fast. I'm learning though and I am getting more in control every day and developing my own routines that work for our family. And I must be doing something right because today Greg rewarded me with jewelry and as he put the necklace on me, he told me how much he loves me and what a good wife and mother I am. I'm not June Cleaver and that's ok. 


1 comment:

  1. Aw, what a sweet post! You're an awesome Mommy to Emme and wife to Greg! You're the best Non-June Cleaver to your very own lil' Beaver (aka Emme) ;o)

    ReplyDelete